Rachael specialises in insolvency, company and commercial work. She appears in the High Court and regularly before Insolvency and Companies Court Judges.
Rachael is often instructed on applications for urgent injunctions.
Rachael acts in and advises on all aspects of corporate and personal insolvency including contested winding up and bankruptcy petitions, applications for rescission and annulment, antecedent transactions, misfeasance claims, fraudulent and wrongful trading, MTIC fraud, unlawful distributions, orders for sale (with associated beneficial interest and equity of exoneration issues).
Her recent cases include:
• DCL Hire Limited (in liquidation) (2018) – 5 day misfeasance trial against a former director of a company.
• Darma Limited v (1) HMRC (2) The Official Receiver (2018) – successful application for the rescission of a winding up order and dismissal of the petition.
• HS Works Limited (in liquidation) (2018) - led in a 5 day High Court trial against a former administrator for breach of his schedule B1 and fiduciary duties, worth £4 million.
• Re Konstantinos Karabatziakis (2017) - High Court trial on behalf of the German tax authority, successfully challenging a Debtor’s centre of main interest.
• Re Selcuk Aygul (in bankruptcy) (2017)- successful application for a declaration that the trustee in bankruptcy held 100% of the beneficial interest in the bankrupt’s matrimonial home; the Court agreed that the wife could not prove an express nor an inferred common intention to own the property jointly based on the principles in Stack v Dowden  UKHL 17.
• Advising and acting on a sham, alternatively s.423, claim worth over £5 million relating to a ‘rainy day’ trust deed.
• Acting in a £3 million claim against the former officers of a company involved in a substantial fraud against a public education authority.
• Advising on a claim by Joint Trustees worth over £20 million against a bankrupt's former solicitors for negligent advice.
• Advising and drafting statements of case in relation to an appeal against Joint Liquidators' rejection of a proof of debt worth over €1 million.
• Led by Simon Davenport QC in a £2 million claim by Joint Liquidators for fraudulent misrepresentation and unlawful means conspiracy against purchasers of a company.
Rachael has a broad range of company and commercial experience. She is regularly instructed in relation to: breach of duty claims, directors’ disqualification proceedings (particularly in relation to EBTs and other tax schemes), claims relating to breaches of sale and purchase agreements, partnership disputes, shareholder disputes, unfair prejudice petitions, derivative claims and cross border merges.
Her recent cases include:
• Re M2 Property Invest Limited  EWHC 3218 (Ch),  B.C.C 324- successful application for approval of the merger of a Polish company with its English parent company.
• Defending directors in disqualification proceedings brought in respect of payments made to an employment benefit trust.
• Acting in a high value claim for breach of a SPA involving allegations of fraudulent concealment of key documents during disclosure.
• Acting (led by Peter Knox QC) in an arbitration appeal before the Boxing Board of Control concerning manager / promoter contracts and issues of breach of fiduciary duty and the duty of trust and confidence.
• Advising (led by Simon Davenport QC) in a claim relating to the misattribution and undervaluation of a Renaissance painting worth £22 million which also involved advising on jurisdiction and applicable law.
Rachael is willing to undertake cases pro bono where appropriate.
Rachael appeared in the Court of Appeal with Peter Knox QC and Rupert Butler in the widely reported case R v David John Bryant  EWCA Crim 1245, in which they successfully appealed against Mr Bryant's conviction for an historic sexual offence.
LLM in Commercial Law (First Class) (Ranked 1st in College), Darwin College, University of Cambridge
Bar Professional Training Course (Very Competent) BPP Holborn
BA (Hons) Law with French Law (First Class), University College London
Darwin College Dean’s Award (2014)
Blackstone Entrance Exhibition (2012)
French (including study at Université Paul Cézanne Aix-Marseille III)